Wednesday, April 19, 2006


“…Be sure your sin will find you out.”

I have just returned from our mid week prayer meeting service. This night I had to work church discipline for the first time at the church. Any pastor who has done this, knows it is not any fun. It is a very difficult service, yet it is essential when unrepented sin is present.

I am amazed at how the Lord brought one of the men’s sin to light. The Bible is very true when it says, “…Be sure your sin will find you out.” Last Wednesday afternoon, my phone went out. This is nothing unusual though. Our phone lines here in Namatanai go out all the time. Thursday morning, the phone was still out. I began to check if other phones were out as well. I quickly found out my phone was the only one not working. Now, this was unusual.

We have a small phone company office here, where one man works. I went to the office, and informed him my phone was out. He was surprised and said he would call the main office to see if they could correct it. (The main office is on another island.) While there, the political member for our island, Byron Chan, saw me, and he came to talk to with me. He is the equivalent of a senator is the U.S.. He spends very little time on the island. He lives in Port Moresby, the PNG capitol. We talked for a few minutes and he then asked me if I received the money he sent to the church. I told him no, we had not received any offering from him. He told me he gave it last month. I asked him who he gave the money to. He told me the name, and I was stunned. The man was my song leader. I asked Bryon Chan again, just to make sure I understood him right.

I left the office knowing my song leader had stolen money from the church. When I returned home, my phone line was working! The Lord simply turned off my phone, so I would go to phone office and talk with Byron Chan. Thus finding out about the sin in the church. Again, “…be sure your sin will find you out.”

You might think you are getting away with your sin, but the Lord knows exactly what to do. “Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.” You might be able to fool the people in the church and your Pastor, but you will never hide your sin from God!

(As a side note, I will be gone for a day or two preaching on the southern part of the island.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A unique set of circumstances, proving the truth of God's Word yet again!

Praying for you during your travels.

Unknown said...

WOW! what a picture.

Kent Brandenburg said...

Great story, sorry about the situation. Nice looking family, previous day post.

Terry McGovern said...

Bro Kent, Thanks for the compliment on the family pic.

The pic of the sheep I found a few months ago. I was doing some research on the internet concerning the charismatic movement. I found that pic, on a web-site, refering to Benny Hinn. :)
So it is not my creation.

I ended up not going to the southern part of the island. Shortly after I left to head there, some circumstances prevented me from going. I will be heading there next Thursday though, Lord willing. Thanks for praying Jerry.

DaCatster said...

You know the one thing I have learned is, your sin will find you out. And being in the ministry doesn't provide a shield from God's eyes

Great illustration