Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Missionary Stories from PNG

Here are two missionary stories that have recently happened here in PNG. I took both of these from my current prayer letter that was just mailed out. For those of you who receive my prayer letter, you will notice I did a different format this last time. I simply used two stories for the prayer letter. There was much more to say but not the space to put it in.

Here are the stories:

One Sunday, I brought the Christians from the work in Sohun to Kudukudu for a combined service. While there, one of the men from Sohun recognized one of the men at the church Kudukudu. The man from Sohun (Pius) has been saved for about five years now and had not seen this man for many years. The man he recognized (Wesley) was a very good friend of his years ago. They used to get drunk together and were always in trouble. They even spent time in jail together. He had no idea Wesley would be at the church service. Little did Pius know that Wesley and his wife had both just recently trusted Christ, and this day I would be baptizing them. After the service, Pius wept as his old friend was baptized. They both hugged and rejoiced that they both have become a "new creature" in Christ! I had no idea that the men knew each other, until well after the service. Oh the Grace of God!!! Oh how he loves for us to rejoice. It was no coincidence on that Sunday we had combined services, with the Christians in Sohun. The Lord was in control of everything. He desired to let two friends rejoice that they both had turned to Jesus Christ. AMEN!


On the first Sunday in January, a "Catholic Evangelist" came to church. He was visiting family in the village. Since there was no Catholic church, he decided to attend the Baptist church, upon his brothers recommendation. He listened intently during the preaching. After the service, I spent one hour talking with him. He truly seemed liked a Nicodemus, desiring truth. After presenting the gospel, and answering many of his questions, I asked if he would like to receive Jesus Christ. He said he was not ready, but that he would return the following week. As I left the service that day, he was in the back of my truck with his family. He wanted me to drop him off at the hut where he was staying. While driving, he yelled out to me to stop the truck. I did. He climbed out of my truck and came to the window. He said he had to receive Jesus now and he did not want to wait! He clearly had urgency in his eyes and voice. I got out of my truck and we walked to a river by the road. There he had his entire family sit down, and he put his faith in Jesus Christ!! AMEN!! (He ended up having to leave the village three days later.) Nothing beats serving the Lord!!!!!!!!!!

Missionary/Pastor
Terry McGovern

4 comments:

Terry McGovern said...

Thanks Bro Tim,

You are the first to post a comment on my blog! Psalm 50:23 is a great verse.

Really it is the commitment of Jesus Christ, not me. Although I do appreciate your kind words. If not for His grace and mercy, I could in no way be in His service.

By the way Tim, we did have a plane come in on Tuesday, so you should receive the CD there in Australia within a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Wow Bro. Terry, great stories. My eyes leaked a little on the second one!!!

Anonymous said...

Terry, it makes me proud to say that I know a man so wanting to share his love for the lord by doing the great work that you do unselfishly. Always wishing for you the best to carry on the wonderful blessings that you bring to so many.

Terry McGovern said...

Mike J

Glad you liked the stories. I will be posting more.

It is amazing how the Lord works in the lives of people!


Mike Whit

Thanks for the kind comments Mike. I am glad you came to the blog!