Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The True Foundation for life.

First, this blog will not only deal with missions, but with many aspects of the Christian life. I would like the focus primarily to be Jesus Christ and his Word. I hope the Lord will bless and use this blog to His honor and Glory.

It will deal with subjects concerning Christians. Today the word “Christian” is used in a very broad sense, and that is very sad. By Christian, I mean those who have repented and put their faith solely in Jesus Christ for salvation. Not their baptism, church, good works, some experience, or anything else. I am a Baptist preacher/missionary, however those things do not make me a Christian. Salvation is not about what I do, it is about what Jesus Christ has already done. If you are not a Christian or not sure, then please click on this link ( http://www.mmol.org/McGovern/plan.html) from my web-site, to see how the Bible teaches us we can become a true Christian.

I myself put my faith in Jesus Christ on June 30th 1982. Pastor John Norris opened the Word of God, and showed me the gospel. Upon realizing my need for Jesus Christ I turned to him and put my faith in Him.

Now on to the blog:


The best place to start is with Jesus Christ.

He is the true foundation. If your life, your works, your motivation, your marriage, your relationships etc... are not built on Him, then it is all for not. Jesus Christ is life. Our life is about glorifying God Almighty. Let’s look at a parable about the importance of having the right foundation in life. This foundation is Jesus Christ and his Word.

(Mat 7:24-27) Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.



What is your “house” built upon? How many have quit in their service due to “rains, floods, and wind” (trials)? Their foundation for their service was not the Rock (Jesus Christ), it was merely sand.

Knowing this to be the case, why then do so few people build upon this foundation?

For one, building upon this foundation will involve denying self. The fact is we like to live our life for our self and not God. We can even use God and His service for self .

I think of the many times in my own life, I have attempted some work, or some other area of my life, without letting Jesus Christ be the foundation. One can be a missionary, as myself, and yet the motivation for the service can be entirely selfish. Thus the work is built on the wrong foundation.

Christian we when get to heaven our motivations will be revealed. God will not only look at what we did, but why we did it.

(1Co 3:10-15) According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.



Ask yourself, why you do what you do. Why do you go to church? Why do you read the Bible? Why do you pray? Why do you preach? Why do you teach a Sunday school class? Etc…

WHY?

Now once you have answered that question, I want you to think about this verse:

(Mat 22:37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.


Missionary/Pastor
Terry McGovern

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Terry, something we deal with daily. It is interesting to see that Christians struggle with the same issues around the world and from what the Bible teaches us we have struggled with the same issues from day one!

I think a whole sermon could be devoted to maintaining a foundation too. Even if it is built upon rock if it is not kept up in can get weak, and you start seeing holes, and they become very hard to repair when not attended to for a length of time -- first hand experience!

Terry McGovern said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terry McGovern said...

Very true Bob,

Many times we start off builing on the Foundation, but then we switch to materials like, "wood, hay, stubble." This will not last.

The bush houses here only last for a few years and then they must rebuild them? Why? The material used is not proper. It is not meant to last.

We need to make sure, "how we build upon this foundation."

Anonymous said...

Bro. Terry, I think I might enjoy reading more of these blogs!

Do you mind if I use this one for one of the devotionals I send out (plus your comment here about the bush houses)? I think it would be a good one to pass one.

Thanks for sharing these true stories and Scriptural insights with us here. Matthew 13:52.

Terry McGovern said...

Jerry,

Yes, you are more than welcome to use the post.

Glad you like the blog!

Bro Terry